NBC is about to turn
Donald TRUMP's racist rhetoric
into a laughing matter
by allowing him to host
Saturday Night Live.
Trump's racism and fear-mongering
are nothing to laugh at
and have real impacts for people of color.
Tell NBC and SNL:
Cancel Donald Trump’s appearance
on Saturday Night Live
During a white supremacists’ Halloween convening this past weekend Donald Trump was hailed as an “icebreaker” for the white nationalist cause — responsible for helping to popularize racist values.1 This week, Saturday Night Live (SNL) will provide yet another platform for Donald Trump’s dangerous racism and xenophobia by allowing him to host their November 7th episode.
As one of the most popular late-night sketch comedy shows of all time, SNL has a wide influence on pop culture. By selecting Donald Trump as a host, they legitimize Trump’s campaign rhetoric — which is rooted in racism and fear-mongering — and make the real-world violence he incites against people of color a laughing matter.
It is irresponsible and dangerous for NBC to provide Trump with a free national platform to further fan the flames of racial intolerance. Earlier this year NBC fired Donald Trump for his derogatory and shameful comments against Mexican people. However, now that it seems like racism is big business, NBC has changed its mind and decided it’s time to cash in. Given SNL’s appalling track record, we already know that they will do almost anything to appeal to lowest common denominator.2
SNL has a long history of black and brownface and discriminatory hiring practices. And throughout its 40-year history, the show has consistently reproduced some of the most dehumanizing stereotypes of Black and Brown folks on television.These callous, monolithic representations of people of color peddled by SNL and others have alarming real-world impacts. Likewise, there’s mounting evidence that Donald Trump’s racist demagoguery is resulting in real-world violence, including physical and verbal intimidation.
Here are just a few examples:
- Two weeks ago, at a rally in Virginia, when student immigration activists tried to interrupt Trump, Trump supporters physically attacked them. One supporter was caught on tape swearing and spitting in the face of a demonstrator. Another yelled, “Go back where you came from!” to the students.3
- Without any evidence, whatsoever, Donald Trump has contributed to the false narrative that Black Lives Matter is advocating for the killing of cops.4 He’s also falsely claimed that Black and Brown people commit the “overwhelming majority” of violent crime.
- In August, two brothers from South Boston ambushed a 58-year-old homeless man as he slept outside. They targeted him because he was Latino. One of the brothers said he was inspired in part by Trump. In response, Trump said, “I will say that people who are following me are very passionate. They love this country and they want this country to be great again. They are passionate.”5
- In August, a Trump supporter at a rally in Alabama said to the New York Times: “Hopefully, [Trump’s] going to sit there and say, ‘When I become elected president, what we’re going to do is we’re going to make the border a vacation spot, it’s going to cost you $25 for a permit, and then you get $50 for every confirmed kill. That’d be one nice thing.”6
Rather than challenging his fear-mongering, most mainstream media covering the presidential race have largely given him a pass. And now NBC and SNL are further working to normalize his bigoted and racist views. It is unacceptable.
Thanks and Peace,
Brandi, Rashad, Arisha, Evan, and the rest of the ColorOfChange team.
November 3, 2015
November 3, 2015
1. "Inside the White Supremacists’ Halloween Bash," The Daily Beast, 11-2-2015
2. "Civil Rights Group to Lorne Michaels: Why Doesn't 'SNL' Cast Black Women? (Exclusive)," The Hollywood Reporter 11-1-2013
3. "Donald Trump Rally Turns Violent As Supporters Clash With Anti-Racism Activists," Huffington Post 10-15-2015
4. "Donald Trump trashes Black Lives Matter: 'I think they're trouble'," Business Insider 09-9-15
5. "South Boston brothers allegedly beat homeless man," Boston Globe 09-19-2015
6. "Donald Trump Fails to Fill Alabama Stadium, but Fans’ Zeal Is Undiminished," New York Times 09-21-15
Help support our work. ColorOfChange.org is powered by YOU—your energy and dollars. We take no money from lobbyists or large corporations that don't share our values, and our tiny staff ensures your contributions go a long way.