mardi 5 décembre 2017

U.S : A multi-billion dollar bail bond industry is exploiting Black people !



Brooklyn Community Bail Fund and VOCAL-

NY just started a petition demanding an 

investigation of the Bail Bond Industry in New 

York !


Sign now



















Investigate the Bail Bond Industry in New York!











Dear friend,


We just started a petition titled "Investigate the Bail Bond Industry in New York"

My name is Belva and I was victimized by a predatory bail bond company that took advantage of me at my most desperate time. I need your help to hold him and others in the bail industry accountable. In February of 2016, my son was arrested and detained at Rikers Island Jail, one of the most dangerous jails in the nation, simply because we could not afford his bail cost. In New York, over 100,000 people are imprisoned for their inability to afford bail. And last year, my son was one of them. 

At Rikers Island, it's common for inmates to get killed before they are even tried in court. I was terrified for my son's safety and my only option to get him out was to secure a $25,000 loan from a local bondsman. But after signing the contract, I discovered the many unfair and abusive practices of the bail bond industry. It took over a week for the bail bondsman to even bail out my son, and in addition to the quarter-million dollar loan I took out, I also spent thousands of dollars on hidden fees and premiums. Bail corporations prey on people like me when we are at our most vulnerable and they need to be held accountable for this.


Will you demand for the state of New York to investigate its bail bond industry?


No corporation should be allowed to exploit people in jail and their loved ones for a revenue stream. The commercial bail bond industry is profitable because it is virtually unregulated--leaving unscrupulous bail agents free reign. The industry even has local bail bondsmen lobbying elected officials to protect bail corporations and ensure that mass incarceration rates remain at status quo. The bail industry is also giving huge campaign contributions to candidates in New York and nationally. But luckily, Brooklyn Community Bail Fund and VOCAL-NY are working with directly impacted people like me to fight back; and we're gaining momentum. 

By investigating bail corporations, the Governor and Attorney General could expose an industry that is working to hurt New Yorkers-- especially the poor Black communities. The bail bond industry is corrupt and goes against our constitutional freedoms for the purpose of profit. An investigation can unwind one of the most unjust aspects of the criminal justice system and drive down mass incarceration.


Last year, when I was trying to secure a bail bond for my son, I was in a very vulnerable position and was able to be taken advantage of easily. By intentionally exploiting vulnerable people like me, the bail bonds industry is making huge profits. We need Governor Andrew Cuomo and the Attorney General Eric Schnelderman to investigate this industry and ensure forceful regulations that protect Black and poor people. 

Dear friend, your signature on this petition will tell Gov. Cuomo that we will no longer allow the bail bond industry to prey on Black people.


Join me, The Brooklyn Community Bail Fund, and VOCAL-NY in demanding that Governor Andrew Cuomo and Attorney General Eric Schnelderman oversee an investigation into New York's bail bond industry.


Thank you,




Belva, The Brooklyn Community Bail Fund, and VOCAL-NY





Sign now













Color Of Change is building a movement to elevate the voices of Black folks and our allies, and win real social and political change. Help keep our movement strong.





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire